Saturday, December 26, 2009

Giving is loving

Papa always told me that it’s “better to give than to receive.

This line would constantly remind me of my father. I gained the attitude of sharing from him. He influenced all the members of the family to give.

I remember I was in third year high school when I first experienced an outreach program. It was in the municipal jail of Guihulngan. Though at the first place we were hesitant to give, considering that we are only students and we are few in the class to share an amount that will be spent during the activity.

I could never forget the faces of the prisoners when we serenade them with Filipino Christmas songs—they were lonely, hopeless, the eyes almost drop down its tears. I saw them in agony, their appearance missing and wanting to be with their loved-ones on chritmas season. I realized that I am lucky in fact to have celebrated the most anticipated event of the year with my family and friends.

When we were in the fourth year, as member of the Student Government of our school, we gave our used clothes to the poor people of La Libertad. I thought my head will be damaged that time because, on our way of going out from that sitio, a coconut has almost hit my head, good that the “pot-pot” we rode was able to avoid it. That was unforgettable!

Series of outreach programs followed when I entered college, but this time is for the kids who were abandoned by their parents and given to shelters that can attend to their needs.

Seeing the happy faces of children whom you feed and given presents on Christmas made me feel glad and proud of my self.

Now, I’m trying to make the best of my every Christmas by reaching out to others, touching their hearts and creating a significance through giving them of what I have and spending a day with them even for a short span of time.

I believe that by giving, a good return is waiting for me, though not now, but in the days it will surely come.

The essence of Christmas is giving because sharing is a way of showing that you love them.

0 comments: